Friday, October 23, 2009

The significance of having learned German before English

When I see a word I don't know how to pronounce, what comes out usually is how Germans would read it.

My grapheme-to-phoneme rule for things written in the Roman alphabet is German by default, it appears.

I realized this when I started graduate school, as I was getting familiar with the dual-route models of reading (that you can either convert the letters into sounds or just directly get the meaning of the word through its whole printed form). Since then, being aware of the fact that I have a tendency of reading new words with a German pronunciation has helped me correct my pronunciation consciously, but if I'm not thinking about it, I still make mistakes.

Recent example: Conoco.
COnoco, not coNOco.

No comments:

Post a Comment