Monday, August 10, 2009

Acquired taste.

When I cook something Korean and dare my NorthAmerican friends to try it, one of the common responses I get is "It's an acquired taste." I often interpret that to mean "I don't like it, but I'll be polite to you."

If I think a little more on the expression than usual, however, I take a little more offense than most people, too, because it almost sounds like, "If I took the time to become familiar with it, I may like it, but I don't have the desire to. You're not worth the effort."

Yeah I used to be depressed, and still have self-victimizing tendencies that work really well in tinting the world in a negative light.

But then, what kind of responses DO I want from my brave friends?

"Interesting!" is rather overused, but I guess it's safe.

"Different" gets bonus points for honesty.

Can't think of any for the moment. Will need to update when I think of more.


Of course, if they like it, they can say that, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment