Friday, August 21, 2009

Frankfurt. Wiener.

So my hubby and I went to watch the Inglourious Basterds (got the spelling wrong in the previous post as Tarantino has to do it in his style :P) and oh I loved it. Some day I'll have to learn French. The main villain is a polyglot!! Automatically assumes the position of the best villain in my book.

Any way, there is a scene where a British guy is speaking German and the Nazis notice his funny accent. The Nazi can tell that one Basterd is from Frankfurt and the other from München, but the British guy... from whence?

So after the movie, I tell my hubby that while I could tell that the British guy's accent was a bit off, I could not distinguish between Frankfurt and München (and I lived in Frankfurt for 3.5 years). My hubby chuckled to this. So I proceeded to ask him why. His response was that the word "Frankfurt" reminds him of hot dog.

Oh yeah, it has always bugged me how the word "Wiener" is used to refer to... um.. you know.

Didn't really realize until then that those proper nouns that to me ring the tune of "Nun ade du mein lieb Heimatland" (k, Wien wasn't my home but was my parents' favorite place for vacation) are mainly linked with images of sausages to Americans. How unromantic. And my husband's family name rhymes with "Wiener."


Got me hungry for Leberwurst. Seufz.

No comments:

Post a Comment